About Me

My photo
Oklahoma, United States
I'm a retired Mother of three and Memere of five plus the addition of my Great Grandson. Memere is French Canadian for Grammy. Sometimes when I think of that I have to catch my breath. Time moves so quickly and we need to savor every moment in time for we can never go back again...only in our memories. I treasure each and every moment that I get to spend with my family and friends. I have spent a lot of my life singing in church and school choirs. Now that my voice is aging, I just may end up singing Bass. LOL I like reflection and use it a lot in some of the poems I write. I have some amazing friends from all over the U.S. and even in Canada, who have been with me through thick and thin and I would have never made it without them. I belive that God puts people in our lives to be our angels, inspiration, or to teach us something. I support our Military in the fight they are fighting to help keep our country free and protect our freedom. God Bless America, God Bless Us All! I hope that you enjoy reading some of my blogg. Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment so I know you have visited. Happy Fall Y'All!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

What childhood memories does Fall conjure up for you???

With the thought of a possible light frost tonight...I've been thinking of my childhood...something I seem to do a lot of the older I get.  Having spent a very large portion of my younger years living back in Massachusetts...where, by the way, many Yankees seem to think that they have the monopoly on the Fall Season, I can't help but remember the sights and smells of that time so very long ago now. 

The season had surely come as the "Leaf Peepers" arrived from every state in the Union plus many other continents.  You would have thought that they had never seen Fall Foliage before...well maybe they hadn't.  It sure did help out the local economy when they arrived by the bus loads to take every possible picture that they could of every color of leaf possible.  Those of us lucky enough to live in the "Leaf Peeping" areas would often think of this colorful show nature put on for us each year as common place and take it far too much for granted.

It really wasn't until I moved away and no longer was privileged to the paint box of color on the leaves each Fall that I truly missed such sights.  So now as I ponder these memories, let me see if I can conjure up some memories for you too...


 
A visit to a local farm was always included for pumpkins, cider and hayrides.


And of course there was apple picking.  Somehow they DID taste so much better than the ones from the grocery store!


Who could find the biggest and most perfect pumpkin was always rivalry between my brother and I.

Once home, Daddy would help us with the carving of our pumpkins.  I really think now that he just didn't want us to slice ourselves or the table!


If we were lucky, we would be invited to a friends for a bonfire...toasted marshmallows and toasted toes!

 
Raking leaves...not a favorite chore.  I remember wishing for a big gust of wind to come and blow them into the neighbors yard.  Never worked that way though!
Sometimes we even got fresh Maple Syrup for our pancakes and waffles.  Daddy made the best pancakes and waffles and he still does!





Then there was Halloween...costumes and candy and who would get the most candy and the coolest costume.  Halloween was fun then.  Not the ugly and scary things that kids dream up now days!


The time change was and is still rather hard for me to adjust to.  Why do we even need it I wonder?  I resent losing that hour of sleep in the Fall.  Don't mind the extra hour in the Spring though.  Funny how that works!

Football, football, football.  With a son who ate, drank and slept football, to grandsons who take after their Dad and Uncle and then my husband who could watch it 24/7...Good thing I like football too!  GO Boomers!

The Fall isn't complete without THANKSGIVING...my daughter Amy's favorite meal all year.  So much a favorite that she saves THANKSGIVING to eat her turkey.  Won't eat it anyother time of the year and that is a fact.

Did you get the impression that Fall is my favorite time of year?  Yup, that's right so.....

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to go back east and be a touristy Leaf Peeper! Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete