About Me

My photo
Oklahoma, United States
I'm a retired Mother of three and Memere of five plus the addition of my Great Grandson. Memere is French Canadian for Grammy. Sometimes when I think of that I have to catch my breath. Time moves so quickly and we need to savor every moment in time for we can never go back again...only in our memories. I treasure each and every moment that I get to spend with my family and friends. I have spent a lot of my life singing in church and school choirs. Now that my voice is aging, I just may end up singing Bass. LOL I like reflection and use it a lot in some of the poems I write. I have some amazing friends from all over the U.S. and even in Canada, who have been with me through thick and thin and I would have never made it without them. I belive that God puts people in our lives to be our angels, inspiration, or to teach us something. I support our Military in the fight they are fighting to help keep our country free and protect our freedom. God Bless America, God Bless Us All! I hope that you enjoy reading some of my blogg. Thanks for stopping by. Please leave a comment so I know you have visited. Happy Fall Y'All!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcoming the Fall


My favorite time of year is the Fall or Autumn as some prefer to call it. Maybe this goes back to spending most of my life living in New England where "Leaf Peepers" are a sure sign that the leaves are begining to turn their vibrant colors of Red and Gold and every shade in between.

Maybe I love the Fall because it means that November will soon be here with special birthdays to remember, mine being one of them. LOL Or that Thanksgiving is just around the corner...another favorite of mine.

Here is a little something that I wrote a few years ago:


What Thanksgiving Means


By Dottie Theriault

A nip is in the air and trees are looking bare But fallen leaves are clinging to the children's coats, sweaters and hair
As playfully they run through the yard and everywhere
Before the winters snow turns the scene once again
To sleds and slides and snow angels here and there.
Gathering family and friends inside, we open wide the doors.
And scents bring back the memories of gathering in years before.
Remember the plump roasted turkey, so golden brown it glowed
And how we each held our breath that it wouldn't hit the floor
As lifted from the pan with juices overflowed.
The smell of cinnamon and sage intermingled and entwined
To give us tasty morsels of stuffing and of pie.
Yes, all these memories of senses help to store
The precious gifts we hold on to from this day evermore.
But what is more important?
Is it the turkey or the pie?
No, it's the gathering of our family and friends
And perhaps sharing with a passer by..
Being Truly Thankful for the Love that surrounds us this Fall,
For it is a gift from Heaven
from our Lord God, above All!

© October 22, 2001 Dottie Austin Theriault





1 comment:

  1. I love your line about senses and memories. Isn't it amazing that you can smell a scent or hear a random sound and be transported back in time to something you didn't even know you remembered?

    ReplyDelete